Monday, March 8, 2010

National Gallery - March 2010

On Friday 5 March I went with my Mum to the Masterpieces from Paris exhibition at the National Gallery.
The only disappointment on the day was the fact that almost everyone else went to see it too, thus resulting in a sardine-like experience. Aside from the press of human bodies and the cattle queueing the exhibition was great.
It was interesting to see the differences, as well as the similarities between artists, and how styles changed.
To be honest, I have never really been into paintings, there have been few that have moved or intrigued me the way a photograph can do.
Having said that, there were three paintings paintings in particular that I found beautiful and interesting: Vilhelm Hammershoi's Rest (Hvile) 1905, Starry Night (La nuit etoilee) 1888, by Vincent van Gogh and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's Rousse (La Toilette).
I love the way you could see the light reflected off the blobs of paint in Starry Night. It was as though the painted stars had a light source, which also bounces off the tips of the water, shoreline and buildings.

While I was there I also took some time to wander through the sculpture garden outside. It was a very bright day but I managed to get a couple of shots of the artwork.

Dadang Christanto
Heads from the North 2004


Willy Tasso and unknown artist
Slit Gongs 1970


Bert Flugelman
Cones 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment