Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If I had the right idea, the task for this week's field trip at Lake George was to focus on one aspect and explore it.

I thought about what I've read and seen about landscape photography and I think one of the most important things to me is composition. The landscape at Lake George is fairly barren looking, so I had to think about something to place in the shot, or shooting it a different way, to make it more interesting.

After walking out and along the fence-line I decided to take most of my shots from a ground-up perspective (i.e. lying on my front in the grass/dirt/droppings.

I've used a 16:9 crop for most of them, because it's the shape I think of for landscapes, and... I like it. I've also tried to focus on balancing the shots.


As a theme to tie my shots together I looked at the "forgotten" feeling you get at the lake. Walking around I could see remnants of activity once going on down there, either when it is full for fishing or completely empty for sheep grazing… at the moment it is neither.

There were some sun bleached animal bones, weathered and tiredly leaning wooden posts, a neglected fence and an ancient rusted can. I also took a photo of a large rock tied with rope as though it had once perhaps been used as an anchor or a weight… the mind wanders...

I have to say, it's kind of creepy down there with that cold wind, those ET-esque wind farms and a quiet, eerie nothingness.


















No comments:

Post a Comment